How many times has it happened where a recipe needs buttermilk but you don’t want to buy an entire carton? We’ve got a kitchen hack for that!
Making a recipe that involves buttermilk? If you don’t have any on hand, you’re trying to avoid buying the large cartons at grocery stores (because – let’s be real – sometimes you only need a small amount), we’ve got a recipe so you can do it yourself!
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp White Vinegar or Lemon Juice
(1) In a small bowl, add cup of milk and the white vinegar so it begins to curdle slightly.
(2) Stir and set aside for at least 5 min and the homemade buttermilk will be ready! If you’re looking to make more , use the same proportion – 2 tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice to every 1 cup of milk!
What can I use buttermilk for?
We use buttermilk to add a little extra fluff to our biscuits to top our Irish Chicken Pot Pie, but it has tons of other applications:
- Use buttermilk in yummy treats like pancakes, cakes and cupcakes. Not only does the tang help add depth and complexity to the flavour but it also tenderizes the gluten in the batter giving it a softer, fluffier, melt-in-your-mouth texture. A general rule of thumb is to add a cup of buttermilk for every 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Use it as a brine for chicken before frying! A buttermilk soak combined with flour makes the fried chicken juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside! It also makes a great marinade for meat and helps to tenderize meat as well.
- The acidity and fat content makes it a great salad dressing – whether on its own or with the simple addition of garlic, herbs or spices.
This recipe was part of our Irish Chicken Pot Pie recipe. We deliver fresh, pre-portioned ingredients straight to your door along with recipe cards so you can create nutritious meals at home.
Interested in getting started? Click here for 2 FREE plates off your first order with us!