Friday night after a long week, a lazy Saturday, or a spontaneous Tuesday, use any day of the week as a perfect excuse to get the family together for a movie night. Now all we need are some snacks!
Now what’s a movie night without popcorn? Instead of throwing a bag into the microwave, it’s just as easy (and way healthier!) to pop your own over the stove. All you need are two basic ingredients, and then you can add any toppings you like!
- ½ cup of fresh kernels
- 3 ½ Tbsp. of Canola/Peanut/Coconut oil
- In a large pot (a lid is a must!, over medium-high heat, add the oil, and 2 or 3 kernels of popping corn.
- As soon as those pop, you’ll know the oil is hot enough, and you can add all of your kernels to the pot.
- Give the kernels a little mix to coat them in the oil, put the lid on the pot, and wait for the fun to begin.
- Once the popping starts slowing down, turn the heat off of stove, and take open the lid just a crack to let the steam out, and wait for the last few kernels to pop.
And that’s it! Easy peasy.
At this point, you can add any kind of seasonings you want, melted butter, salt, or even some cayenne pepper or other spices if you’re feeling adventurous!
What’s another go-to movie snack? Chips of course. But put down that bag, because we’re going to make our own, and maybe cut out the guilt by adding veggies to the mix!
For these chips you can use potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, and even turnips.
Baked Vegetable Chips
- 2 Russet potatoes (and/or other vegetables!)
- 3 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375F
- Thinly slice your vegetables as evenly as possible ⅛” thick
- Pat them dry, to make sure they come out extra crispy
- Toss them in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper, and make sure they’re evenly coated
- Coat 2 baking sheets with a thin layer of oil, so the vegetables don’t stick
- Bake them for 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp, turning the pan once after 10 minutes
- Remove them from the oven, and sprinkle some coarse salt on top, if desired
And now you’re all set with some delicious, and much healthier versions of classic movie snacks, so gather the whole family together, grab some blankets, put on a movie and enjoy!