Happy Mother’s Day!
We can all agree that trying to celebrate everything our mothers do for us in one single day doesn’t even begin to do them justice. The long hours, sleepless nights, and sacrifices they’ve made doing a thankless job of raising and caring for us means that our mothers should be praised every day of the year – not just on Mother’s Day.
A single day of rest is a small fraction of what they deserve, so we need to do everything we can to make that day as special as possible. With Mother’s Day only a couple of days away, it’s time to get into panic mode if you haven’t started planning anything yet.
We think that Mother’s Day should be packed full of pampering and relaxation, and is there a better way to combine the two than starting the day off with breakfast in bed? We’ve got some great recipes that are going to blow her away, and give your mother the perfect start to the day.
These Banana Bread Pancakes are delicious on their own, slathered in maple syrup – here’s how to make them!
Banana Bread Pancakes
- 2 c. All-purpose flour, spooned and levelled
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped toasted pecans, plus more for serving
- 3 tbsp. Packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium), plus slices for serving
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter, melted, plus more for griddle
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Stir together flour, pecans, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, banana, eggs, and butter in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat; butter. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake on griddle. Cook until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook until plump and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Place pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 175°F oven up to 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup, toasted pecans, and sliced bananas.
Those pancakes are out of this world, but if you really want to fill your entire home with the sweet scent of a luxurious bakery, these Almond Cinnamon Buns are the way to go.
Almond Cinnamon Buns
- 1 cup Slivered almonds
- 4 oz. Almond paste
- 6 tbsp. Light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 2 packages Unbaked crescent rolls
- 1 stick Butter
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup Confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp. Whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir almonds, almond paste, brown sugar, and cinnamon to combine. Set aside.
- Working on a sheet of parchment, unroll 1 package of crescent-roll dough to a rectangle and smooth seams. Evenly spread half the butter over dough and then sprinkle with half the almond mixture. Beginning on one long side, tightly roll up dough. Slice into 6 pieces. Repeat with remaining dough, butter, and almond mixture.
- Spray two 6-cavity muffin tins with cooking spray. Place a bun in each cavity and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Transfer buns to a wire rack, drizzle with icing, and serve immediately.
Finally, if you’re feeling extra fancy, and you want to put in the time to make the perfect Instagram-worthy breakfast, this Brioche French Toast with Berries is definitely worth it.
- 4 slices of Brioche
- 100 ml. Semi skimmed milk
- 2 Eggs – beaten
- 100g. Mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 2 tbp. Caster sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Sunflower oil or any other oil you prefer
- Greek yogurt
- Berries to taste
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Put the berries inside a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, leave to macerate for 30 minutes.
- Cover the center of each slice of brioche with a mond of macerated fruits, leaving a border around each slice.
- Cover with the other 2 slices and press with your hands to flatten the toasts. Keep the fruit juices in the bottom of the bowl for later.
- Put a bit of oil inside a frying pan, not much, enough to slightly cover the bottom of the pan and take to the heat.
- Mix the milk with the vanilla and dip the toasts into the milk, both sides, pressing to remove the excess, then dip them into the beaten eggs and fry on both sides until golden, which takes just a couples of minutes.
- Place the toasts on top of kitchen paper to drain the oil.
- Cut each toast in half, dust with icing sugar and serve with greek yogurt drizzled with the fruit juices and berries to taste.
And there you have it! 3 fantastic breakfast in bed ideas to impress any mother in your life – but don’t forget to keep up the surprises – they deserve it! Mother’s Day only comes around once a year, but we should all praise their courage and hard work every day.
Chefs Plate gift cards are another perfect gift that will be sure to make mom’s life a lot easier by delivering perfectly portionned ingredients right to her door, and saving her the time and energy of grocery shopping and meal planning. Pick them up Here!